How to Get Your Electrical Safety Certificate

rcd protection

Image source

As per the Building Regulations in England, all properties must have an electrical safety certificate – also known as an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). This is particularly important if you will be renting your property out, as it ensures the safety of your tenant. Let’s take a more in-depth look at what the EICR is, why it’s important, and how to get one for your property.

What is an EICR?

New regulations on electrical work were bought in back in 2005, known as Part P. This section of the building regulations states that any electrical work carried out on a home – whether by a professional or yourself – should meet the Part P requirements. In order to prove that your work is safe, you must provide an electrical safety certificate (EICR). It is the legal responsibility of the homeowner or landlord to show that any electrical work carried out meets the Part P regulations. Failure to prove that this has been done is a criminal offence, as it can put lives in danger. The electrics on a property can be tested to ensure they do meet Part P regulations, which will then provide you with the electrical safety certificate.

The Importance of Electrical Safety Certificates

Electrical installations are liable to deteriorate over time, which can cause serious hazards. Nearly 10,000 house fires a year are thought to be caused by faulty electrical installations; many of which can lead to death. As a homeowner or landlord, it’s your responsibility to ensure that the property is safe. Otherwise, as mentioned, you could be committing a criminal offence.

How to Get Your EICR

It’s recommended that the electrics at a property are tested every 3-5 years. However, landlords may find that it makes more sense for them to test their property after each tenant. Especially if any damage is caused to the house or electrical installations. Electrical safety certificates must also be acquired every time work is done to the property; including new circuits, replacing consumer units, alterations to circuits, and so on. Here’s a step by step guide to getting your electrical safety certificate:

1. Find a reputable electrical company who are able to carry out Part P testing. MPB Electrical Leeds are a prime example, as they have customer testimonials and years of experience. Search for someone local to you, with good reviews.

2. Explain to potential electricians what work you have recently had done. They will test the entire property, but it’s good for them to know where issues may arise.

3. Get in quotes from various electricians, who know the extent of the work and what changes have been recently made.

4. Pick the quote that suits you best! Most people will go for the mid-range option, as the cheapest can sometimes not be the best value.

5. Arrange a time for your electrician to come and test the property. This could take a couple of hours or all day, it all depends on the size of the property.

Your electrician should then send you through an EICR which certifies that your property abides by Part P regulations. If not, then they may recommend work that needs to be done for it to become safe. When complete, you will be able to rent your property out without any potential electrical hazards.

Related posts:

  1. 8 Benefits of Using Water Restoration Services
  2. 8 Tips for Cleaning Houses after Water Damage
  3. 8 Interesting Facts about Chromium
  4. 5 Checklist: What Should I Consider when Choosing Janitorial Service?
Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.